Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Research and Me

I usually enjoy research papers, because I like looking at a certain issue or topic and discovering key points about it and I also like trying to make my paper as interesting as possible. If I was just curious about one thing, I would most likely enter it into Google, find out my answer, and really not even check my facts or sources. With a research paper though, I am careful about naming my sources, verifying them, and comparing and contrasting my information.

I would like to go into the field of journalism, which I think has helped me with being comfortable citing sources and helping me find legitimate sources. In journalism you have to be careful with information you present to the public, or else you could get sued for libel. The things I have trouble with writing research papers is presenting too much information (how much is enough for the reader?) and writing down sources correctly until I can put them in the proper format and create a bibliography. I try to look at a couple dozen sites for papers, to get as much of a stance on my topic as possible, and it is difficult to remember each website I have been to, what information I got from it, and whether I should cite it.

2 comments:

  1. I do the same things when it comes to research on the internet. When it is a small personal interest, I have no problem just going to google. But I am very careful with using sites for sources for papers. Good luck though (:

    P.S. You will be a great journalist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could bookmark each website you visit and collect information from. You could name each bookmark with a key word pertaining to the information that you gathered from it. Then,the sites would be organized and labeled you could easily go back to them.

    ReplyDelete